What Wonders Await the Wandering Ones: Discovering Memories
Whether in San Clemente, Saigon, or South America, there are small gems to be found, awe inspiring views, and the good people, food and traditions that make a place what it is. As I explore my world and make these discoveries, I will share here.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Discovering Memories


       This past week I stumbled across my stash of old journals. I am a diligent journal-writer, ever since my dad brought me back a cool journal from Indonesia when I was 10 years old. That to say, my life from then on is pretty well documented. Not that anybody really needs to know that I got a 92 percent on my math test or had pancakes for breakfast, but by the time I got to college I guess things got interesting enough that as I flipped through the pages the other day, I was riveted by own life!
      As Gwedolyn, in Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest says, "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."
      I know not everyone keeps journals, but it’s interesting because reading back on them you remember so much that you would have completely forgotten. On the other hand, after the accident I didn’t write in my journal for a long time, and I don’t mind forgetting whatever my brain chose to forget in those months.
      Even though looking back can be fun, or painful, funny or annoying, I journal for the moment, not necessarily to remember things in the future. I like writing out my feelings and frustrations and feeling organized after everything’s on paper. But I do like reading back and getting an aerial view of my life, and seeing how I’ve changed, grown, and moved along.
     What do you think about journaling? Do you like to do it or not? Do you like it for the writing or for documenting? Do you like to look back, or do you like to let time and your brain decide what’s important enough to remember? Do you have another way of remembering – such as pictures or scrapbooks? Are you a diligent or a maybe-once-a-year writer? I am very curious what you think!

6 comments:

  1. I've never journaled in my life. First of all I'm not much of a writer. Second of all I probably never consider what's going on in my life important enough to be documented (whether it is or isn't). Third of all I never really thought about it. Fourth of all the only time I sit still is laying in bed, in which case I'm usually unable to stay awake for more than 30 seconds. I think journaling is great though. I'm slightly jealous of Kirsten's record of her life, but the above reasons are just too much for me to overcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love journaling, but though more enjoyable than jogging it pretty much serves the same purpose. It allows me to sort out my thoughts on paper/ vent/ or think things through better. I'm usually better at doing it when I travel so I can remember things when I get back since otherwise my brain is so overloaded. I agree, It is really neat to go back through things. I definitely journal in phases though, so I have large gaps of undocumented life, and then very well documented periods. On a side note, my notes in class will probably tell you everything you need to know about my thoughts for that day, as well as illustrations to go along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I journal about once or twice a year. Not because I don't sit still. Must be because I'm not disciplined enough. Andrea, on the other hand, journals everytime we have an argument or I say something that hurts her feelings. What a relief to know that at least one part of my life is well documented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your blog, friend. I am bad about journaling, but tend to be better about it in seasons when i feel like I will want to remember...like I wrote a whole journal those 4 months in Guatemala, and I don't regret it. i guess its like how I am with pictures, I am bad a taking them but always to glad when I do...hmm. I think I feel a mid-year resolution coming on. :)

    ReplyDelete