What Wonders Await the Wandering Ones: Food - A Cheaper Way to Travel
Whether in San Clemente, Saigon, or South America, there are small gems to be found, awe inspiring views, and the good people, food and traditions that make a place what it is. As I explore my world and make these discoveries, I will share here.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Food - A Cheaper Way to Travel

They say that books can take you on adventures to far off lands - and I have more good news: So does food!
 Jordi and I love watching Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain, the globe galavanting foodie, as he makes his way through both popular and unknown places around the world trying their food and discovering their culture. Recently we've watched his shows about Miami and Puerto Rico, peeking my interest in that area. Then we got our most recent issue of Conde Naste Traveler, (a thoughtful Christmas present from my cousin) and they featured a whole spread on the best places to eat in the Caribbean.
Since we've already used more than our allotted vacation time for the year, the odds of making it to the warm waters and crispy food of the West Indies anytime soon were slim - until Groupon came down from the heavens and offered me a great deal on Eva's Caribbean Kitchen.
Located just a few miles up the coast in South Laguna Beach, Eva's is a cute and authentic piece of the Caribbean.
Pineapple, plantains, curries, peppers, and seafood galore! An extremely bright and open tiny restaurant complete with an extensive rum list and mouth blazing cajun prawns - add a warm summer night, and I did almost feel like I was in another world. Of course, neither reading nor eating are quite as good as actually being there - I have never finished a book taking place in China feeling jet lagged, full of dumplings, and a souvenir of my name in calligraphy in my bag. But reading about places gives you knowledge and an appreciation for different places and cultures. Likewise, eating something completely new and interesting in an authentic setting, while not the same as actually going to the islands, gave me knowledge and insight into that world - in a most wonderfully fun and delicious way!
Southern California is one of the most diverse places in the world, and there is abundant interesting food as a result. We are blessed to be able to sample very authentic versions of Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Cuban, Peruvian, Mediterranean, Italian, Chinese, Indian and more. It's up to us to find the ones that are authentic and enjoy the different places and cultures through the dishes they offer - right in our back yard!
Where is your favorite restaurant that whisks you off to a different land?? Please share!

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I love this!! :) I knew I loved ethnic restaurants for a reason :) hm... where to start?? So we just at Qera's (spelling?) in Encinitas - knockdown, incredible Peruvian. Aroma di Roma is a little piece of Italy in Belmont Shores. Amazing coffee and the place all the Italians I didn't know existed, gather to watch Italy play soccer :) And a ton more, but I won't take up all the room on here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait - important notice - if you comment under anonymous leave your name! but let me guess:
    Is this Andrea?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rider's Club! Does that count? Hot dogs and Beer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for el Misti in Buena Park (Peruvian ) --alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boston Market!!! Just kidding...I don't know about so cal, but here in Dallas (technically in Uptown) there is a restaurant in the heart of the hustle and bustle called Urban Taco. A divine blend of gourmet and mexican. Open and airy and delicious! We will take you if you come back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirsten you always inspire me to reach out and appreciate life with a renewed attitude! You did mention "right in your own backyard" in your last post and it reminded me that a good bottle of wine along with a nice cheese and baguette and an aromatic cluster of grapes in "my own backyard" can take me back to a meal enjoyed in Venice along the Adriatic Sea. So thanks for reminding me that we dont have to go too far to travel. Also I second the recommendation for Qero in Encinitas.

    ReplyDelete