What Wonders Await the Wandering Ones: Lent
Whether in San Clemente, Saigon, or South America, there are small gems to be found, awe inspiring views, and the good people, food and traditions that make a place what it is. As I explore my world and make these discoveries, I will share here.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lent


This week I am "exploring" the tradition and purpose of Lent. A few years ago, Jordi and I decided to do Lent, more as a game than anything else - Could we really go for 4o days without desert??
Now I look forward to Lent as a time that forces me out of my completely indulgent lifestyle, and I appreciate the opportunity to give something up and become more thoughtful in that area. Isn't it interesting that you never think about something as much as when you can't have it? 

This year Jordi gave up coffee, which completely blew me away because he drinks it ALL the time and absolutely loves it. So far he has been perfectly faithful and very much looking forward to Easter. I gave up the three C's - cookies, cakes, and candy (which, essentially is desert). The other day I was fully planning on taking a handful of M&M's when I realized I wasn't allowed to. More than deprived, I felt checked - I had to think about it and not do it, instead of doing it without thinking!

I think Lent means different things to different people. As I read about it a bit, I found it can mean a time of repentance and self-deprivation before the joy and feasting of Easter. It can also be a reflection of the 40 days that Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness. It can be a time to give up a vice and practice discipline, or a time to give up something you love in order to enjoy it all the more on Easter. What does it mean to you? Why have you decided to observe Lent? What did you give up and why did you chose that? Have you learned anything from the experience so far? Do you like Lent, or dread it? Please respond!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey good looking picture! Looking forward to many a exciting blog...
    As far as Lent: I think it's important to remind yourself that you don't have to, and shouldn't even be able to, have anything you want at any time (Asian food? Mexican? Italian? Ice cream? watemelon in December? no problem!). Without the excuse of lent I'm sure I would never deprive myself of any gastronomical indulgence. Thanks lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i heard it was used as a practice by early Christians to heighten the joy of Resurrection Sunday, i thought i would try it. i like it for a lot of reasons. Saying no to chocolate for 40 days is a reminder that i am more than what i eat. As a confirmed cookie monster, Lent reminds me that i don't "need" plump chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and oatmeal.
    And i like they rhythm of doing this every year and sharing in the practice with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog. I've never really participated in lent, mostly because I never think of Easter that far ahead to remember when lent is, although it would be really cool, I think. I know most people have done food, but are changing it to facebook or other habits. Do you know if the practice began with food? or did they give up other things as well? I think the only food that would be at all effective for me would be lean cuisines...but in that case I would not call it lent, I would call it a 40 day fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the replies! Good insight...
    Steph - Lent isn't mentioned in the Bible, and people started doing it for many reasons, some listed above. I think in Catholicism they give up meat on Fridays, fast (one meal a day) and give to charity...but anything that makes you think about your actions, practice self control, etc would be a good one, facebook included :)
    Here's another question: are donuts in the category of cookies, cakes or candy??? hehe...

    ReplyDelete